Thursday, February 24, 2022

February 24: More Noble and More Able, Big Goals, "Just Before Poetry Workshop"

Santiago versus the fish . . . 

"He is two feet longer than the skiff," the old man said. The line was going out fast but steadily and the fish was not panicked. The old man was trying with both hands to keep the line just inside of breaking strength. He knew that if he could not slow the fish with a steady pressure the fish could take out all the line and break it.

He is a great fish and I must convince him, he thought. I must never let him learn his strength nor what he could do if he made his run. If I were him I would put in everything now and go until something broke. But, thank God, they are not as intelligent as we who kill them; although they are more noble and more able.

Santiago, finally seeing what he is up against, knows that the fish could win the battle simply because of its size and strength.  Yet, Santiago has experience and brains on his side.  So, in a way, the narrative is a David and Goliath story, with Santiago in his little boat on a vast, unfriendly ocean.

I've gone after some big fish in my time.  Set myself big goals and tried to accomplish them.  Sometimes, I succeeded (I'm a published writer).  Other times, I've come up short (I still haven't won my Pulitzer Prize).  A person has two choices.  First, to celebrate the victories and be happy.  Second, to wallow in the failures and be miserable.

I do both of these things, depending on the day.

Tonight, I attended a poetry workshop led by a good friend of mine.  The theme of the night was "brevity."  Every piece that we wrote had to be 100 words or less.  This condition was a struggle for me.  My poems tend to be expansive and multi-layered.  I don't write short poems.

However, I did it.  I'm not sure I landed any big fish this evening.  (The whole point of the workshop was landing small fish.)  But I tried.  Perhaps, this time, success is in the attempt, not the product.

Saint Marty is still holding out for his Nobel.

A poem for the Swedish Academy to consider . . . 

Just Before Poetry Workshop

by:  Martin Achatz

I wake from a nap,
hungry but too lazy
to even heat up
leftover pizza.  Instead,
I fill a bowl with pretzels,
find some cheddar cheese
sticks in the fridge, sit
on my couch, grab
a pen, my journal.
Sometimes, poetry tastes
like a Dorito found
under a sofa cushion.



No comments:

Post a Comment