Thursday, October 11, 2018

October 11: Eloise Klein Healy, "Asking About You," National Coming Out Day

Asking About You

by:  Eloise Klein Healy

Instead of having sex all the time I like to hold you and not get into some involved discussion of what life means. I want you to tell me something I don’t know about you. Something about the day before that photograph in which you’re standing on your head. I want to know about softball and the team picture. Why are you so little next to the others? Were you younger? Were you small as a girl? What I want most is to have been a girl with you and played on the opposite team so I could have liked you and competed against you at the same time.

_________________________

Today is National Coming Out Day.

I have seen some of my closest friends rejected by their families after coming out.  Have seen their pain.  I don't understand how anyone can hate people simply for being who they are.  Do you hate a pine tree for not being an apple tree?  Do you hate a blue jay for not being a cardinal?  The moon for not being the sun?

Tonight, I celebrate people who have the courage to be themselves.

Saint Marty thinks that's pretty miraculous.


No comments:

Post a Comment