Tuesday, September 26, 2017

September 26: Son's Ninth Birthday, Saeed Jones, "Boy in a Stolen Evening Gown"

Today is my son's ninth birthday.  He is a boy's boy.  Into trucks and guns and video games where bad guys are chopped in half by machine gun fire.  Sometimes, I don't understand him.

But he is also the most loving child I have every met.  Last Christmas, he bought extra presents for his class Secret Santa giveaway, just in case "somebody forgets."

Saint Marty loves and accepts his son, no matter what choices he makes.  Guns or journals.  Trucks or dresses.  Video games or Broadway shows.

Boy in a Stolen Evening Gown

by:  Saeed Jones

In this field of thistle, I am the improbable
lady. How I wear the word: sequined weight
snagging my saunter into overgrown grass, blonde
split-end blades. I waltz in an acre of bad wigs.

Sir who is no one, sir who is yet to come, I need you
to undo this zipped back, trace the chiffon
body I’ve borrowed. See how I switch my hips

for you, dry grass cracking under my pretend
high heels? Call me and I’m at your side,
one wildflower behind my ear. Ask me
and I’ll slip out of this softness, the dress

a black cloud at my feet. I could be the boy
wearing nothing, a negligee of gnats.


No comments:

Post a Comment