Monday, September 25, 2017

September 25: Son at Eight, Poet of the Week, Saeed Jones, "Daedalus, After Icarus"

My son is eight-years-old for the last time today.  Tomorrow, he will turn nine.

It's difficult to believe that I am the father of a sixteen-year-old girl and an almost-nine-year-old boy.  I don't feel that old.  Yet, when I look at myself in the mirror, I know that I have lived over half my life already.

Today, I found a poem about a father and a son.  Daedalus and Icarus.  It was written by Saeed Jones, a poet I know very little about.  However, this poem speaks to me this afternoon on a deep level as I contemplate my mortality and my son's upcoming birthday.

Saeed Jones, Poet of the Week, reminds Saint Marty to allow his son to be his own person, fish or fowl.

Daedalus, After Icarus

by:  Saeed Jones

Boys begin to gather around the man like seagulls.
He ignores them entirely, but they follow him
from one end of the beach to the other.
Their footprints burn holes in the sand.
It’s quite a sight, a strange parade:
a man with a pair of wings strapped to his arms
followed by a flock of rowdy boys.
Some squawk and flap their bony limbs.
Others try to leap now and then, stumbling
as the sand tugs at their feet. One boy pretends to fly
in a circle around the man, cawing in his face.

We don’t know his name or why he walks
along our beach, talking to the wind.
To say nothing of those wings. A woman yells
to her son, Ask him if he’ll make me a pair.
Maybe I’ll finally leave your father.
He answers our cackles with a sudden stop,
turns, and runs toward the water.
The children jump into the waves after him.
Over the sound of their thrashes and giggles,
we hear a boy say, We don’t want wings.
We want to be fish now.


No comments:

Post a Comment