Thursday, September 1, 2016

September 1: Extravagant Landscape, New Book Bag, Abundant Grace

This, then, is the extravagant landscape of the world, given, given with pizzazz, given in good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over.

Dillard is talking about God's generosity, given in abundance.  Sort of like asking somebody if she can float you twenty dollars, and instead she gives you two hundred.  That's the way God is.  As the saying goes, our cups always runneth over because God pours the drinks.  And He never really asks for repayment.  If we say a prayer of thanks, that's cool.  If we don't, God will still keep giving.

Tonight, my sister gave me a gift.  It's a new book bag.  A really beautiful new book bag.  Leather with a leather journal and leather pencil case.  Handmade to order by a company in Washington state, I believe.  It's called the daVinci bag.  I know how much it cost, and, to put it simply, it wasn't cheap.  I've been drooling over this bag ever since I saw it on the Internet at the beginning of July.

I'm a little humbled by the gift.  My sister doesn't expect anything in return.  She gave me the bag out of the goodness of her heart.  It feels like I was provided a concrete example of grace this evening.  Abundant grace.  Not that I need an expensive present in order to experience God's love.  No.  In fact, the bag really isn't the point.  It's the spirit in which it was given to me.  Freely.  Without any expectation of reciprocity.  That's abundant grace.

Marty is a very humbled saint this evening.

It holds a lot of grace

No comments:

Post a Comment