Thursday, September 22, 2016

September 22: Collection of Poems, Richard Brautigan, "Private Eye Lettuce"

I finished revising a new poem this afternoon.  I've been working on various drafts for over three or four weeks.  That's nothing, though.  Poet Elizabeth Bishop worked on some poems for years.  Years.  It's another Bigfoot poem.  Number five or six.

I am giving a Halloween poetry reading in October.  I'm billing it as the debut of my new poetry collection.  Of course, I have a long way to go before I have a new book.  That's OK.  For now, I'm just happy that I have one new poem, because that's how a collection of poems comes into being:  one poem at a time.

Saint Marty is on his way.

Private Eye Lettuce

by:  Richard Brautigan

Three crates of Private Eye Lettuce,
the name and drawing of a detective
with magnifying glass on the sides
of the crates of lettuce,
form a great cross in man's imagination
and his desire to name
the objects of this world.
I think I'll call this place Golgotha
and have some salad for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment