Saturday, October 3, 2015

October 2: Moon Risen, Tapioca Pudding, Lisa Russ Spaar, "Rapunzel Shorn," Blessed Fairy Tale, Adventures of Stickman

In one slip of a second, anything seemed possible--had the moon risen and started to sing, had pyramids appeared over the Chrysler building weeping, Ives would have been no more surprised.

Ives is in the middle of his mystical vision.  He sees the world shimmering and beautiful.  God's goodness is revealed to him.  The sun spins out of control, and the heavens are swarmed with colored winds.  And Ives himself is filled with joy and love for the whole world.

I can't say that I am filled with joy and love this evening.  However, I've had a good day.  Nothing stressful happened at work.  It was slow and calm.  This evening, I attended another football game at my daughter's school.  It was homecoming, so there were a lot of people wearing the school colors--red, white, and blue.  Kids walking around with their faces painted.  A robot shooting popcorn balls into the crowd.  The highlight (for me)--my daughter playing in the pep band at half time.

I am now at home, watching the news and waiting to pick up my daughter.  She decided to attend the homecoming dance.  It's the first dance she's been at since about sixth grade.  I'm happy for her.  She really seems to be enjoying high school.  Now, if she comes home wearing some guy's football jersey tonight, I may not be so happy.

It is also the weekend before Saint Marty's Day.  I know what you're all thinking:  I haven't finished my Saint Marty's Day shopping yet, and I still have Saint Marty's Day cards to send.  Never fear.  You still have time to participate in all the festivities of the holiday.  I, myself, am looking forward to the traditional Saint Marty's Day tapioca pudding on Sunday.

There's a lot of goodness going around in my life today.

Once upon a time, there was a happy manure salesman named Goober.  Goober loved his life and job.  Every day, he danced around his barn, shoveling up the manure.

Goober saw everything as a blessing.  If he caught a cold, he thanked God for not catching pneumonia.  If he broke his toe, he thanked God for not breaking his ankle.  And if one of his cows died, he thanked God that he would be eating steak for dinner.

One day, as he was heading to market with his manure, the wheel of his wagon broke, and the whole load of manure spilled into a river.  As Goober stood by the overturned wagon, watching his merchandise float away, he thanked God that he hadn't been injured in the accident.

Moral of the story:  E-coli happens.


And Saint Marty lived happily ever after.

Rapunzel Shorn

by:  Lisa Russ Spaar

I'm redeemed, head light
as seed mote, as a fasting
girl's among these thorns, lips
and fingers bloody with fruit.
Years I dreamed of this:
the green, laughing arms
of old trees extended over me,
my shadow lost among theirs.
Where is my severed ladder,
the empty tower of my hair?
Let the birds fall in love
with it, carry it away.
Here on earth the river
is in love with itself.
To get there, I'll shove
sharp stones into my shoes
as the saints did, lest
I forget what it means
to walk again upon it.

Adventures of STICKMAN


No comments:

Post a Comment