Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 24: Blessed Josepha Naval Girbes

Well, this post is going to be another quick one.  It's already almost 4 p.m., and I just finished teaching my last class before Spring Break.  I'm back at my other job, trying to finish up my "To Do" list.  One of the last things on the list is to write a quick blog.

Tonight, my Book Club is coming to my house for our monthly get-together.  I made a pepperoni-cheese quiche yesterday.  I'm not sure what else is going to be on the menu.  It's always a great feed.  Our book of choice this month is Kathryn Stockett's The Help.  I've been avoiding this book for over a year, simply because it's so damn popular.  Popularity in literature doesn't necessarily mean quality.  And I don't really like to be a trend follower.  I prefer to be a trend setter, or at least to be ahead of the pack by a few days.  I, however, bowed to the popular vote of my other club members for The Help, and I have to say I've been enjoying it very much.  Haven't finished it yet.  Won't finish it until this weekend.  I hate being in this position.  It's a hold-over from being a boot-licking, brown-nosing, straight-A student.  I like to have all of my homework done.

Well, I promise you a longer, more considered post in the near future.  Today's saint, Josepha Naval Girbes, was a 19th century Spanish woman who became a saint by staying home.  She ran her father's household, taught people about Jesus in her living room, and led the life of a mystic.  She's the kind of saint I want to be.  She phoned in her holiness.  I bet you she would have had time to finish The Help before her book club met.  I'm always amazed by people who find mission work in their own backyards.  You can do you bit for God and still be home in time for American Idol.

Saint Marty will finish The Help this weekend.  He will also post something a little meatier, more thought-provoking in the next day or so.  Tonight, however, Saint Marty has to pretend like he's read a book he hasn't read.  It won't be hard.  He used to do it in graduate school all the time.

1 comment:

  1. hmmmm....I know that you didn't finish. I won't tell. Love from your Wondertwin

    ReplyDelete