Sunday, April 1, 2018

April 1: Easter, Fairly Exhausted, Church Musician

Happy Easter night to all my disciples.

I hope everyone has had a blessed day, full of love and good food.  Chocolate, too.  Lots of chocolate. 

I am fairly exhausted.  I was at church for the Easter Vigil Mass for almost three hours.  Got home around midnight.  Got things ready for the Easter Bunny to show up.  Went to bed around 1 a.m.  Up at 5:30 to play the Easter Sunrise Service at my wife's church.  Then an 11 a.m. service. 

On top of all that, I've been struggling with some stomach issues today, as well.  I think the stress of the weekend is catching up with me.  That's the life of church musicians, though.  Along with all the graces of the Christian holy days, there's a ton of anxiety, as well.  Sleeplessness.  And practice and practice and practice.

Not a whole lot of churchgoers realize this.  The best music is the kind that seems both beautiful and effortless.  Here's a little behind the scenes:  church music isn't effortless.  It's a lot of work.  Wonderful work, but lots of it.

So, exhaustion has struck.  I'm brain dead.  Empty. 

This afternoon, I read a blog post about how to gain readership for your blog.  One of the pieces of advice was (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Don't always talk about yourself.  Make it about your readers."

Don't really know how to do that tonight.  If you are a church musician reading this post, I hope you get some much needed rest tonight.  If you are a churchgoer, thank a church musician for this weekend.  If you aren't a churchgoer, none of this really matters.  I hope you had a good weekend with your godless existence.  (That was a joke, by the way.  Some of the most spiritual people I know aren't members of any church or religion.)

So, I am ready for bed.

Saint Marty might be sleeping in tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment