Saturday, December 13, 2014

December 13: The End of a Long Day, Birthday Party, Hilaire Belloc, "Lines for a Christmas Card," New Cartoon

"Perhaps," [Charlotte] said, wearily.  "But I feel like the end of a long day."  Clinging upside down to the ceiling, she settled down for a nap, leaving Wilbur very much worried.

Charlotte is nearing the end in the above passage.  She has only a few days left to live.  Her job of saving Wilbur's life is almost complete.  She is weary, fading.

I'm fading tonight, but not because I've just spun a web or made an egg sac.  I'm fading because I am exhausted.  Last week's activities are catching up with me.  Of course, the glass of wine I just drank isn't helping, either.

It's been a busy day.  We had a birthday party for my daughter this afternoon.  It was for my wife's side of the family.  It was a lovely, low-key celebration.  We sat around, eating cake and ice cream, telling stories and laughing.  And then I went to my parents' house and put up Christmas decorations.  Oh, I also played the organ for a Saturday evening Mass.  I got back home a little after 8 p.m., turned on the TV, and promptly dozed off on the couch for about an hour.

I feel a little refreshed now.  A little.  I'm totally ready for bed.

But first I owe you a Christmas poem and a new cartoon.

Saint Marty always makes good on his obligations.

Lines for a Christmas Card

by:  Hilaire Belloc

May all my enemies go to hell,
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel

Confessions of Saint Marty



 































VOTE FOR ME FOR U. P. POET LAUREATE (voting ends December 31):

U. P. Poet Laureate Voting 

No comments:

Post a Comment