Monday, November 25, 2013

November 25: It's A Wonderful Day, Being Thankful, Magic 8-Ball

I've had a really good day for the most part.  Busy, but good.

I can attribute my uncharacteristic levity to the movie I've been screening in my Intro to Film classes:  Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life.  There's something about that movie that buoys my spirits.  I literally walked out of the classroom today, after finishing the movie, whistling the theme song.  As I got out of the lecture hall, on my way back to my office, I realized I wasn't thinking about bills or paychecks or car repairs.  I was just content.  Happy.  That hasn't happened in a long time.

There's a line in IAWL spoken by Clarence, the wingless angel.  He says, "Remember, no man is a failure who has friends."  I would add an addendum to Clarence's pronouncement:  "Remember, no man is a failure who has family."

I want to say an early Thanksgiving prayer for my sister-in-law tonight.  Over the last couple months, she has been helping me organize the clutter of my home, which is a monumental undertaking.  This past weekend, she brought us a couch and chair.

Our old sofa and recliner should have been condemned a couple years ago.  They rocked, even though they weren't rockers.  The upholstery was torn, and that gross foam stuffing was leaking out.  They weren't comfortable, but they were all we had.

Now, thanks to my sister-in-law, we have a couch that I can fall asleep on.  It doesn't poke you in the back or ass with springs.  It actually reclines.  I like sitting on it, and I like being in my living room again.

It's very easy, when you're struggling to pay the bills, when you can't afford to get your kids the birthday presents they want, to feel like a failure.  I've been in that place for a while these last few months.  My sister-in-law reminded me this weekend that I'm not a failure.  I have family and friends who love and care about me.  If success is measured that way, I'm the richest guy I know.

This week, I want to ask a Magic 8-Ball question that is about thankfulness:

Will I ever be able to repay my sister-in-law for how blessed she's made me feel?

And the answer from Holden Caulfield is:

"Why should I?" I said--I was practically yelling.  "That's just the trouble with all you morons.  You never want to discuss anything.  That's the way you can always tell a moron.  They never want to discuss anything intellig--"

OK, Holden doesn't know anything about being grateful or counting his blessings.  He's a little too self-absorbed.  I'm not.


Saint Marty gives thanks for a blessing in his life this Thanksgiving week:  his sister-in-law.

Thank you, Cindi


No comments:

Post a Comment