Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11: Snow, Decorating, and the 8-Ball

I woke up this morning to snow.  In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in mid-November, this shouldn't have surprised me.  In fact, I should expect snow every morning and be surprised if I don't have to scrape my windshield and brush off my car.  However, today, I was caught off-guard.

The last few winters, I haven't worried too much about snow.  I had a plow guy who showed up after a big storm and cleared my driveway and front yard.  This year, we can't afford to pay for plowing, so I am looking forward to a long U. P. winter armed with a shovel and my back.  Thus, snow is not my precipitation of choice this year.

On the other hand, the snow makes me want to put up Christmas decorations, which is what I did all morning at my medical office job.  This year, I'm changing my displays, so it's taking me more time than it usually does.  I'm creating Christmas poetry stations, using poems I've written over the last seven years.  This morning's display took almost two hours to finish, even though I had everything planned out.  But it's the one thing at work I enjoy at the moment.

My goal for the rest of today is to remain upbeat and positive.  It's not going to be easy.  I still have to teach and attend meetings at church this evening.  I won't be getting home until around nine o'clock.  However, my lesson plan is done.  My meeting agenda and minutes are printed.  And last night I put together a six-page script for an upcoming worship service.  I'm in pretty good shape.

Now, let's see if the 8-Ball agrees:

Will I have a good afternoon, evening, and night?

And, flipping through my copy of Catcher, my finger stops on:

...Then he put on this very tight black evening dress.  I swear to God.  Then he started walking up and down the room, taking these very small steps, the way a woman does, and smoking a cigarette and looking at himself in the mirror...

OK.  Saint Marty's going to have a good day, if he's an aging, chain-smoking drag queen.

He's having a good day


No comments:

Post a Comment