Thursday, December 6, 2012

December 6: Remarkable Boy, Prize Turkey, Ralphie

“An intelligent boy!” said Scrooge. “A remarkable boy! Do you know whether they’ve sold the prize Turkey that was hanging up there? Not the little prize Turkey: the big one?”

Scrooge has this little exchange with a boy wandering by his house at the end of the book. Scrooge has obviously had a change of heart, and he’s beginning down his road to redemption. The boy runs to fetch the Poulterer and the prize Turkey for Scrooge.

I always picture this boy as an English version of Ralphie from the movie A Christmas Story, walking by Scrooge’s house with his Red Ryder BB gun hanging over his shoulder. I half-expect Scrooge to tell him, “Be careful, m’lad. You’ll shoot your eye out!”

This Blessing Thursday, I am having a friendly competition with a coworker. She is of the opinion that A Christmas Story only appeals to men who love The Three Stooges, and I believe it is universally beloved, crossing gender, age, and Stooge lines. (As a side note, I do love The Three Stooges.) We have been asking all women who enter the office their opinions of A Christmas Story. Aside from a few misanthropes, the response has been pretty standard, across-the-board: “Who doesn’t love that movie?”

Ralphie and Red Ryder bring joy to every one of my Christmases. At least two or three times during the holiday season, I will sit down and watch the film. My wife and I sometimes speak to each other in Ralphie-isms: “You’ll shoot your eye out!” and “Ho, ho, hoooo!” and “A crummy commercial!” and “Randy lay there like a slug…” The movie’s lines work in so many different situations. For example, if my wife wants to borrow a book from me that I’m reading, I can look at her and say, “Not a finger!” It gets the point across.

At the moment in our poll, Ralphie is winning almost 5,932,512 to 3.

This is what Saint Marty has to say about that: “I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!”

"Oh, fuuuuuuudge!"


No comments:

Post a Comment