Wednesday, December 5, 2012

December 5: Burger King Birthday

We celebrated my daughter's birthday at Burger King his evening.  She has dance classes on Wednesday night, so, in between tap class and modern, we light up some cupcakes in the Burger King play area and sang "Happy Birthday."  Then my son proceeded to like the frosting off everyone's cupcakes, causing my daughter to burst into tears.  It was a memorable night.

This weekend, my daughter is having her first sleepover with a group of her friends.  We told her she could invite four girls.  She gave out the invitations on Monday.  Thus far, we have only one definite "yes."  We also have one "I think so" and one "I'm not sure if I can."  I'm beginning to think we should have let my daughter invite a few more girls, but it's too late now.  We'll just celebrate with whoever shows up.  For some reason, parents are not big believers in RSVPing for kid's birthday parties, even if it is an overnight party.

I guess my worry for this Wednesday is that none of my daughter's girlfriends will come to her sleepover.  That would be a little difficult for me to deal with.  My daughter will be fine with one friend, or two, or five, or twenty.  She doesn't let herself get down about a whole lot of things that bug the crap out of me.  And that's great.

I think I would be much happier if I were more like my daughter.  Always laughing or smiling.  Always ready to be anybody's friend.  She's going to have a great time Friday night, even if we only get definite "yes."  "I think so" and "I'm not sure if I can" will rue the day they missed the party.

Saint Marty's inner child must be a twelve-year-old girl.

Making a wish...

No comments:

Post a Comment