Monday, November 5, 2012

November 5: A Friend and Anne Lamott

I have a friend whom I recently introduced to the writer Anne Lamott.  When I say "introduced," I mean that I bought Erin a copy of Lamott's book Traveling Mercies.  It was my friend's birthday, and we were having a small celebration at work.  I wanted to get her something special.  I thought about it for a few days, and I couldn't come up with any idea.  Then, one morning, as I was getting ready for work, I remembered Anne Lamott.

Lamott is an essayist/novelist/teacher.  She lives in California and is probably most famous for her books on spirituality.  Now, when I say spirituality, I'm not talking Billy Graham here.  Lamott came to Christianity the hard way, through alcoholism, drug addiction, and abortions.  She is candid, honest, and unvarnished when she speaks of her journey to Christ, and that's what I love about her.  She has struggled, and, in writing about her struggles, she lets her readers know that struggle is OK.  It's normal.  It's part of being alive.

I don't know why Anne Lamott popped into my head, but I knew my friend would fall in love with her writing, the way I did a few years ago.  I was right.  This morning, I loaned Erin two more books by Lamott.  She just friended Lamott on Facebook.  I could make some sort of disparaging comment about my friend's obsession, but, if I did Facebook, I probably would friend Anne Lamott, as well.  I did advise Erin not to use the words "stalk" or "obsessed" in any communication she sends to Lamott.

Anne Lamott has allowed my friend and me to speak about Jesus and church and being a part of a worshipping community.  It has deepened our friendship, and it's putting Erin more in touch with her spiritual side.

I think it was a God thing, me giving Traveling Mercies to her.  It was one of those moments where God steps in, rolls up His sleeves, and says, "Let Me help you here."

Saint Marty is thankful for God, for Anne Lamott, for his friend.

Getting a little grace from Anne

1 comment:

  1. There needs to be a *like* button like they have on Facebook, but then since you aren't on Facebook you have no clue what I am talking about. Anyway. I like this. :o) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete