Monday, November 19, 2012

November 19: Good News--Not That Anyone Noticed

So, I may have misinterpreted my Carol dip this morning (not that anyone has noticed since my earlier post has received no views).  If you are curious as to the subject, go and take a look at it.  It concerns having to speak with the English department head at the university about the courses I will be teaching next semester.  I was feeling pretty fatalistic about my prospects, imagining two sections of technical writing (or, as I like to call it, resume and cover letter hell).  My question for ol' Chuck Dickens was something along the lines of "Will I get two sections of Introduction to Film to teach in the winter?"

The response I got was pretty ominous--something with the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come staring at Scrooge and making him feel more than a little uncomfortable.  Scary specter of the future.  That didn't seem like a very positive omen.  I was already preparing myself for the cover letters and research proposals before I phoned my boss.

Well, it turns out I may have been a little premature.  When I got him on the phone, the Department Head said, "How would you feel about two sections of Intro to Film?"

I think I said something like, "That sounds fine by me."  What I was thinking was, "Take me home and love me long time, sailor boy."

Good news.  Really good news.  If it weren't a work night, I'd have a drink to celebrate.  Something with gin and a twist of lime.   Instead, I will simply acknowledge an unexpected blessing.

The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come is smiling on Saint Marty this evening.


Lights...Camera...Blessing...

No comments:

Post a Comment