Saturday, September 29, 2012

September 29: Shadows of the Things, Halloween Dance, New Cartoon

"You are about to show me shadows of the things that have not happened, but will happen in the time before us," Scrooge pursued.  "Is that so, Spirit?"

Scrooge is talking to the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.  He has just met this specter, and he is a little nervous about what he is about to witness.  Considering the Ghost is an incarnation of the Grim Reaper, I would probably be a little apprehensive if I were in Scrooge's slippers.

The future is not something I like thinking about.  I am the kind of person who imagines worst case scenarios when it comes to future events.  My thinking goes something like this:  if I prepare myself for the absolute worst possibilities in the future, then I will be relieved if anything less than Armageddon occurs.  It may seem like an unhealthy way of living, but it works for me.

My wife told me yesterday night that my daughter wants to go to a Halloween dance at her middle school.  It would be her first dance.  "Will there be boys there?" I asked.

"Yes," my wife replied.

"I'm against it," I said.  My wife laughed at me.  Last night, I had a dream that my daughter went to the dance and came home pregnant.  Now, you might call me crazy or reactionary, but I'm not ready for my daughter to be attending dances and mingling with kids who have penises.  She got out of kindergarten only six years ago, for God's sake.

Yes, I'm not a big fan of the Ghost of Middle School Dances Yet to Come.  I'm not interested in my daughter getting older, dating, thinking about boys in that way.  Maybe I'll take her to Disney World or lock her in her bedroom on the night of the Halloween dance.

Or maybe Saint Marty will just chaperon the dance and make sure she doesn't interact with any undesirable genders.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment