Thursday, August 15, 2019

August 15: Extra Post, Sneak Peek, "What Auntie Em Did"

Because I have been absent for so long, I'm going to do a few extra posts in the following days, to catch up.  Today, I am in Calumet to do a show at the Calumet Theatre this evening.  One part of the show is a parody of The Wizard of Oz.  I wrote a poem for that portion of the show.  This is a sneak peek of tonight's performance, I guess.

I think that this poem is good.  It's about issues that I've been dealing with a lot recently.  The struggles of love, I guess I could call it.  If you heard me read this poem on Monday night, it's been revised.  A lot. 

Saint Marty hopes it's decent.


What Auntie Em Did

by:  Martin Achatz

The day Dorothy disappeared 
into the cornstalks, Emily plumped
the pillow on Dorothy's bed, smoothed
the hand-stitched quilt over the straw
tick mattress, stooped to pick up
a blue hair ribbon from the plank
floor.  After that, she went to the kitchen,
rolled out a pie crust, peeled, sliced
tart apples into a tin, sprinkled them
with sugar, cinnamon, draped them
with dough, fluted the edges into waves,
put it into the stove to bake.
Emily washed the dishes right away,
the way her mother taught her,
left them to dry on a cloth
near the sink.  Then, because she couldn't
think of anything else to busy with,
she pushed the screened door
open, stepped onto the porch,
stood staring into the green
sky, waited for the smell of cooking
apples to draw love back to her,
like a moth dizzy for flames,
a newborn crazed for colostrum,
a cyclone slurping houses
down its ruby-slippered throat.



No comments:

Post a Comment