Sunday, August 18, 2019

August 18: Gray Dark Morning, Loss, "Thoughts of Light and Darkness on the Winter Solstice"

A gray, dark morning after a day of sun and warmth and celebration.

I know that life is about seasons.  Seasons of joy followed by seasons of sorrow.  Seasons of peace followed by seasons of conflict.  Seasons of plenty followed by seasons of loss.  I get that.

But God sometimes seems to throw road blocks in the way happiness.  Things that make no sense whatsoever.  When that happens, I have to ask myself, "Where is God in this moment?"  It feels as though God takes a step back, turns off His phone, doesn't answer our texts on purpose.  (Of course, I know that God doesn't cause tragedy.  He doesn't work that way.  God takes human tragedy and transforms it, if we let Him.  Yet, in my limited human understanding, I sometimes still feel abandoned in a crisis.  Even Christ felt this in His most human moments.  "My God, my God!  Why have you abandoned me?"  Sound familiar?)

Today is one of those days.  A season of joy followed by sorrow.  I am at a loss for words this afternoon, so I turn to poetry, as I always do.  A poem I wrote about two years ago for a person I love who was struggling with grief.

Saint Marty sends healing thoughts out into the universe this rainy day.

Thoughts of Darkness and Light
on the Winter Solstice

by:  Martin Achatz

The night, as long as Cecil B. Demille’s
The Ten Commandments, starts with baby
wail in bulrushes, stones the size
of elephants, plagues of blood and darkness.
Ribs of light crack off, disappear
into the belly of star and cloud and cold.
No moon, just endless moments of ash,
smolder, embers of everything day.
I sit in the lobby of a hotel in a city
at the edge of polar night, think of you,
the eclipse of your life, how light
stays in the corners where you still find
pieces of paper with her handwriting,
books dogeared by her fingers,
presents purchased, waiting
for the bright wrap of morning.
Darkness can be a friend, hold you
when bright grief batters your heart, sneaks
into those fissures, cracks,
like light seeping under a door frame
into a lightless room.  Darkness holds
the possibility that you might see her again,
her shadow fingers in your hair,
rearranging gray locks, shadow
palms on your cheeks,
warming paper skin, shadow
words in your ears, whispering
about the resurrection of Christmas,
how you will find her in an evergreen
bush, burning with mountain fire.
She will carve her name in the stone
tablets of your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment