Sunday, June 10, 2018

June 10: Bike Ride, Tony Awards, Classic Saint Marty

Welcome to Sunday afternoon. 

I have not accomplished a whole heck of a lot today.  After church, I decided to get some exercise.  So, I went for a bike ride.  It was about 75 degrees outside, and I was out and about for some 45 minutes.  My initial goal was to bike down to Negaunee, our neighbor city to the east.  It would have been about a six-mile round trip.  I quickly shelved that plan after realizing a very important fact:  there are tons of hills on the path. 

Therefore, I simply biked around my fair city.  I quickly discovered another important fact:  there are tons of hills in my home town.  I think it's the only place in the world where it's uphill both ways, wherever you go.  It was uphill on the way out, and uphill on the way home.  I was sweaty, tired, and a little sore when I finally pulled into my driveway.

Tonight, I will be watching the Tony Awards with my wife, daughter, and my daughter's boyfriend.  He's really thrilled with the prospect, I'm sure.  My daughter is kind of a theater geek.  Go figure.  A lifetime of dancing and music has sort of warped her.  In a good way.  My wife and I, of course, have been theater geeks since childhood.

Those are my big plans for this evening.  Nothing too earth-shattering.

Six years ago, after a weekend of dance recitals, my plans on this day were pretty much the same . . .

June 10, 2012:  Dance Recital Part 2, Tony Awards

I spent the afternoon in a dark theater for the matinee of my daughter's dance recital, or, as I like to to call it, Dance Recital Part 2.  It was, again, about two and a half hours long, but I love watching my daughter perform.  She's so joyful and funny.  And she didn't disappoint.  Her solo dance was exquisite.  Of course, I'm a little biased.  I mean, I've been her manager since the beginning of her career a little over eleven years ago.  I deserve to brag and be sentimental.

Now, I'm sitting in my living room, watching the 2012 Tony Awards.  It's a good way to end a long weekend of theater.  I mean, who doesn't love Neil Patrick Harris, except some small-minded, humorless homophobe?  I think even Mitt Romney loves Neil Patrick Harris, in his presumptive Republican presidential candidate way.  That is to say, by possibly getting his picture taken with Neil in a vain attempt to appear hip and open-minded.

Anyway, that's all I have to say tonight.  I'm going to watch the Tony Awards now.  They're doing a rocking number from the revival of Jesus Christ Superstar at the moment.  It's going to be a good night.

Saint Marty is ready to kick back and eat some licorice, which, as everyone knows, is the perfect Tony Awards snack.

Tony Awards.  Dance Recital weekend.  School is done.  My daughter is going fishing tomorrow with her boyfriend.  My son is staying at grandma's house tonight.  I have writing projects to complete. 

Saint Marty is thankful for summer days.


No comments:

Post a Comment