Monday, May 21, 2018

May 21: Rachel Wise, "Please Don't Take Away My Recess," ADHD

Please Don't Take Away My Recess

by:  Rachel Wise

I got in trouble in school today. They took away my recess. They said it was because I couldn’t sit still, but I was feeling so restless.

I couldn’t control my body. I wish they’d give me breaks to move. It’s so much easier to concentrate when I’m not forced to sit for an hour or two.

Sometimes directions come on so fast, I can’t keep them all straight. Giving them one step at a time or writing them down would be great.

It’s hard for my mind to focus on 30 questions in a row. Break my work into smaller parts and watch the answers flow.

Check on how I’m doing after I complete the first ten. While you’re looking at my work can I get up, stretch, or play with my pen?

My mom told me you’re disappointed with my messy space. All my belongings overwhelm me. Teach me how to keep them in their proper place.

You yelled at me for calling out and I felt embarrassed in front of my friends.

Sometimes my mouth goes faster than my mind. Kindly remind me to raise my hand.

Please know that these things don’t define me. Let me know when I make you proud.

If you just take the time to notice, you’ll see a bright star, instead of a cloud.


So the next time that I have trouble following your rules and routines, please don’t take away my recess. Burning energy improves my focus and self-esteem.
__________________________

Sometimes, I get really frustrated with my son's behavior problems.  All the times we get phone calls after school because he slugged someone on the playground or bit somebody in music class or broke a branch off a school tree.  My wife and I can only laugh sometimes, because our other option is to throw up our hands and surrender.

For people who've never had to deal with a young child with ADHD, it's probably difficult to understand.  I'm sure my son simply looks like a kid who needs more discipline or hasn't been punished enough.  I get it.  I really do.

I wish there was a way I could make the world easier for my son.  I worry that he's going to end up without friends in school.  That he'll be bullied and picked on.  That's already happening a little bit.  A part of me wants to say, "I wish my son was normal."  But then, he really wouldn't be my son.  I think it would take away that stuff that makes him funny and creative. 

Instead, I work every day at accepting him for who he is.  I try to help him deal with his frustrations and anger.  Encourage his wild imagination and energy.  Let him know that he is unique for a reason.

Saint Marty is having a tough parenting day.


No comments:

Post a Comment