Thursday, December 22, 2016

December 22: Itsy-Bitsy Statues, Itsy-Bitsy Idol, God's-Eye-View

Thomas Merton wrote, "There is always a temptation to diddle around in the contemplative life, making itsy-bitsy statues."  There is always an enormous temptation in all of life to diddle around making itsy-bitsy friends and meals and journeys for itsy-bitsy years on end . . .

Annie Dillard's point in the above passage is that we humans tend to focus on tiny things.  Have itsy-bitsy idols, if you will.  We get all wound up in our tiny lives and forget about the bigger picture.  The God's-eye-view picture.  That's why the world is full of poverty and hunger and war.  Itsy-bitsy people focusing on itsy-bitsy statues.

I am as guilty as the next person.  About six years ago, my itsy-bitsy idol was an iPad.  I wanted one in the worst way.  Last autumn, my itsy-bitsy idol was a promotion at the university.  Small things that I believed would make me happier.  In some cases, I did get a measure of happiness from these idols.  However, as Dillard is quick to point out, there are always bigger fish in the sea.

I guess wanting to be the next Poet Laureate of the U. P. is kind of an itsy-bitsy idol for me at the moment.  However, I am trying to maintain a God's-eye-view.  If I am lucky enough to be named Poet Laureate, I want to tie those two years to service.  I have a gift for poetry.  That gift was given to me by God, and I want to use that gift to do some good in my little part of the world.  Help feed some hungry people.  Put some books into libraries.  Keep some homeless people warm.  You get the idea.

I am not usually comfortable with self-promotion.  However, I am comfortable with promoting social awareness and understanding and compassion.  I know that sounds kind of highfalutin, but I am very sincere with that idea.  Poetry fighting poverty.  Poetry fighting intolerance.  Poetry fighting bullying.

That's something worth voting for, I think.

Please vote for Saint Marty (Martin Achatz):

Voting for next Poet Laureate of the U. P.

No comments:

Post a Comment