Tuesday, March 3, 2015

March 3: Son's Timeline, Rita Dove, "Fifth Grade Autobiography"

My son is in first grade, and we have to help him create a timeline of his life, replete with milestones and pictures of said milestones.  Things like first birthday, first Halloween costume, first tooth, first time he punched somebody on the playground and got detention.  We did the same assignment with my daughter when she was in second grade, I believe.

I remember my daughter's timeline making me a little melancholy.  Just looking back, thinking of how much she'd already grown.  Time goes by so fast.  It seems like yesterday that we brought my son home from the hospital, had that first of many sleepless nights with him.

Rita Dove has a poem that sort of captures this nostalgic sorrow.  Most poets do.  It goes with the territory.

Saint Marty can attest to that.

Fifth Grade Autobiography

by:  Rita Dove

I was four in this photograph fishing
with my grandparents at a lake in Michigan.
My brother squats in poison ivy.
His Davy Crockett cap
sits squared on his head so the raccoon tail
flounces down the back of his sailor suit.

My grandfather sits to the far right
in a folding chair,
and I know his left hand is on
the tobacco in his pants pocket
because I used to wrap it for him
every Christmas.  Grandmother's hips
bulge from the brush, she's leaning
into the ice chest, sun through the trees
printing her dress with soft
luminous paws.

I am staring jealously at my brother;
the day before he rode his first horse, alone.
I was strapped in a basket
behind my grandfather.
He smelled of lemons.  He's died--

but I remember his hands.

Yup, I remember that

No comments:

Post a Comment