Thursday, January 1, 2015

December 31: True Friend and a Good Writer, Year's End, Year's Beginning

Wilbur never forgot Charlotte.  Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart.  She was in a class by herself.  It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer.  Charlotte was both.

This is my last Charlotte's Web post.  I thought it would be appropriate to end with the last words of the book.  E. B. White writes about friendship and memory.  It's a melancholy paragraph in a way, for Charlotte is gone and Wilbur is keeping her spirit alive.  Letting go and holding on.  That's what life is all about.

It is New Year's Eve.  A time for looking back and forward.  Night is closing in.  People are probably gathering in Time's Square already.  Pretty soon, 2014 will be a memory.  It has been a year of letting go for me.  A brother.  A job.  Good friends.  I'm not good at this loss/change thing.  Wilbur's much better at it than me.  He's moving on, creating new happiness.  I, on the other hand, am still struggling to slough off my 2014 skin.  It's difficult.

Tonight, when the ball drops in New York City, I will raise my cup for better times.  I will sing "Auld Lang Syne" with my family.  I will say a little prayer for peace and joy in 2015.  That's my prayer for all my disciples, as well.  Peace and joy.  We all could use some of that.

Saint Marty wishes you all a very blessed New Year.

Time to see some balls dropping!

No comments:

Post a Comment