Tuesday, January 6, 2015

January 6: Walt Disney, Finalist, Prayer of Thanks

...And there was also his collection of, affectionately kept, handwritten notes from fellow artists much more famous than himself.  His favorite, because it took him back to a happier time during his childhood, was the note Walt Disney had sent him back in 1935, when, at the age of thirteen, he submitted some funny-animal drawings and gag ideas on the chance that he could go to work for the Disney studio, then making a new kind of animated, feature-length film called Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  A form letter turned him down, but a few lines had been added, which said, "Keep in touch and keep it up, your work is swell!  Walt Disney."  Ives showed the note to all his friends and passersby, as they walked by his stoop, the mild praise had him floating for weeks.

Edward Ives is a very humble man.  An artist by trade, he ekes out a decent living as an advertising man (not the Mad Men kind).  He's a family man.  A religious man.  His greatest joys are his wife and children.  Of course, he had dreams of being famous--the next Walt Disney or modern-day Raphael.  Yet, he never realizes those dreams.

Like Ives, I've had dreams of being a successful artist since I was very young.  I was an avid reader.  Loved writers like Dickens and Frost and Tolkien almost from the time I could check books out of the library.  I used to sneak into the adult section to read biographies of Lon Chaney and Walt Disney.  (I checked out a huge tome called The Art of Walt Disney several months in a row so that I could memorize images and facts.  That book featured a page with photographs of a topless model posing for men with sketchbooks.  I was seven or eight at the time.)  I loved the limitless doors opened by writers, and I wanted to count myself among their ranks.


Today, I found out that I am one of the top five finalists to be the next U. P. Poet Laureate.  I am totally stunned.  I was happy simply making the top ten.  Now, there is a remote possibility (very remote) that I could actually win.  My mentor and friend, Beverly Matherne, is also in the top five.  So, now, until March 16, I wait and do interviews.  Of course, there's going to be a big reveal on the local Public Radio station.  And I will have to sit there and pretend to be happy when I lose.  I need to practice my I'm-so-happy-somebody-else-besides-me-won expression.

But, for tonight, I'm going to be thankful and happy.  I am in the running for a very big honor.  (My friend and fellow nominee, Beverly, called to congratulate me this afternoon.  She said, "No matter who wins, you are the best poet in this group."  It was such a lovely compliment.)  And my sister who's in the hospital is doing much better today.  She won't be ready to come home for a while yet, but she's on the mend.  That's something to be thankful for, as well.

So, tonight, I say a prayer of thanks for being recognized as a poet/artist, and also for my sister's improving health.  God is good.  (My daughter agrees with this statement, too.  She just found out that school's been cancelled for the third day in a row.  She's headed for an almost three-week Christmas vacation.)  In the midst of the chaos and confusion of this world, there is happiness and hope to be found.

Saint Marty is happy and hopeful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment