Wednesday, November 26, 2014

November 26: Days Before Christmas, Turkey Trot, Survival

...A couple days before Christmas, Andy [E. B. White] took Roger for a ramble--carrying their skates--down Charles Street and to the iced-over lake in the Public Garden, where they found mittened children and overcoated men already skating...

In the passage above from Michael Sims' book The Story of Charlotte's Web, E. B. White takes his new stepson skating.  White wasn't a very athletic guy, but he often went skating as a kid on the river and lake close to his childhood home.  He wasn't Scott Hamilton, but he could stay vertical on a pair of blades, which is better than I could do.

I've never been very athletic.  The only sport in which I participated in high school was Cross Country, and I wasn't that great.  In fact, the second day of practice, I bruised my heel bone, and I couldn't run for about a month-and-a-half.  By the time I went to team practice again, half the season was already over.  I think I ran in a total of three meets.  I eventually got a junior varsity letter, but I think it was because the coach had a couple extras.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to be running in the annual Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.  I registered for the 5K race this year, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to finish it.  I kind of had an accident at work last week.  I fell off a chair and smashed my chest against my desk.  I don't think I broke a rib, but I certainly bruised something.  It's been sore ever since.

I haven't tried to run since my little accident, so I'm not even sure I'm going to survive tomorrow morning.  My goal isn't to win or place.  My goal is survival.  If I finish and don't collapse, I will count that as a success.

And then I will go to Burger King for breakfast with my family.  It's our little Thanksgiving Day tradition.  Run my ass off and then eat some greasy fast food with my kids and wife.

Say a prayer for Saint Marty tomorrow.  He's going to need a little extra help.

Or a lot of extra help...

No comments:

Post a Comment