Tuesday, November 25, 2014

November 25: Naturally Patient, Pushcart Prize, Prayer for Discernment

Charlotte was naturally patient.  She knew from experience that if she waited long enough, a fly would come to her web; and she felt sure that if she thought long enough about Wilbur's problem, an idea would come to her mind.

Charlotte knows all about making difficult decisions.  For half the book, she's trying to figure out how to save Wilbur's life.  For the other half, she's choosing words to spin into her web.  Whether or not to go to the Fair with Wilbur.  Where to create her egg sac and lay her eggs.  Of course, all of Charlotte's decisions are exactly right.  She never makes a misstep.

Last year, I received a Pushcart Prize nomination.  This year, as Poetry Editor of the university's literary magazine, I am in the position of having to select two poets to be nominated for this year's Pushcart Prizes.  It was not an easy decision.  In fact, it was kind of agonizing.

Yes, I have made my decision.  I consulted with a colleague from the university.  I considered suggestions from the grad students who sift through all the poetry submissions every week.  I asked my wife (who is my best and toughest editor/critic).  In the end, after several hours, I chose two poems/poets who, literally, took my breath away with their work.

I always pray for discernment when I have tough decisions to make.  I prayed a lot tonight.  Tomorrow, I will probably rethink and regret, but it is over and done.  My choices have been submitted.  Now, I have to move on.  I will have more tough choices to make tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the next.  That's what life is all about.  Tough choices.

Tonight, though, I have already made my tough decision.  The only other decisions to make is what I should pack for my lunch tomorrow.  What I should wear to work.  Whether to eat Doritos or Cheetos.  When I should go to bed.

If you're interested, Saint Marty's choices are:  chicken sandwich, jeans and a polo, Doritos, and 11 p.m. (after Dancing with the Stars.)

Pushcart or Cheetos?

No comments:

Post a Comment