Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4: One of Those Tired Posts, "Carol" Dip Monday, Politics

Yes, it's going to be one of those posts where I complain about how tired I am.  Four o'clock comes way too early in the morning.  My eyes are burning right now, and I'm kicking myself for not having any caffeine on hand.  The idea of a tall cup of Diet Mountain Dew is making my eyelids thirsty.  I said eyelids.  That is not a typo.  It seems my eyelids are the parts of my body that are the most tired.  While I am sitting at my laptop, typing away, my eyelids want to crawl back into bed for a few more hours.  It's going to be a very long day at work.

Well, today is Monday, and that means it's time for a Carol dip.  I've been examining my conscience, reviewing my life, trying to come up with a good question to ask the great book of Scrooge.  I haven't really come up with anything earth-shattering, or even that interesting.  Therefore, I will turn to national politics.  Now, the presidential election in the United States is pretty much a horse race between two candidates--President Barack Obama and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney. 

Long-time disciples of Saint Marty know that I tend to be a little liberal in my leanings, as any intelligent person should be.  I make no apologies for this fact.  I have strong beliefs.  For instance, I believe that health care should be a right, not a privilege.  I don't think you should have to go bankrupt if you get sick.  I believe that everyone deserves a place to live, clothes to wear, and decent food to eat.  I live in a very wealthy nation.  The fact that we have people starving in the United States is criminal.  Speaking of wealth, I believe rich people should pay higher taxes (at least higher taxes than the middle and lower classes).  As Christ said, "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand more."  That's a pretty clear statement about the distribution of resources.

Anyway, I'm climbing down off my soapbox now, and I'm going to ask my question.

Well, I just have one more thing I want to say.  It concerns Mitt Romney.  He's the son of a former Michigan governor.  He grew up in Michigan, with his dad running a car company and the entire state for a while.  Yet, he's the former governor of Massachusetts, and he was against the auto industry bail-out.  But he wants me to believe that he considers Michigan his "home," and that he's pro-Michigan.  What's up with that?

OK, now I'm really climbing down off my soapbox to ask my question.  My question is this:

Will Barack Obama be elected President of the United States for a second term?

And the answer from Charles Dickens, that great voice for the poor and struggling of the world, is:

Blessings on it, how the Ghost exulted!  How it bared its breadth of breast, and opened its capacious palm, and floated on, out-pouring, with a generous hand, its bright and harmless mirth on everything within its reach.

Well, let's see.  Mirth.  Generous hand.  Blessings.  Exultation.  Looks like four more years for President Obama.

And Saint Marty says "amen" to that.

Even Charles Dickens wants this guy reelected

No comments:

Post a Comment