Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 2: Rescue 911, Rough Morning, Blessings

At about 1:30 a.m., my wife had to call the paramedics to our house because I was having a severe low blood sugar reaction.  I have been diabetic since I was about 13 (around 30 years).  I now use an insulin pump.  Before I went to bed last night, I forgot to do something that should be as routine as brushing my teeth, going to the bathroom, and locking the front and back doors.  I forgot to check my blood sugar.

Having a blood sugar of 20 or less is sort of like having an out-of-body experience for me.  I'm sort of aware of what's going on, but it seems as if someone else is controlling my body.  I was aware this morning of loud groaning (that was me--and I have the sore throat to prove it).  I was aware of the EMS guys asking questions about my age and health history.  I was aware of my wife, at some point, making me drink fruit juice.  I would like to say that I heard William Shatner narrating the experience like an episode of that old series Rescue 911, but that would be a little weird.

When I finally realized what was going on, I found myself half-naked on my living room floor with an IV in my arm.  A paramedic was asking me questions:  "What's your name?  What day is it?  Who's the President of the United States?"  I thought about answering the last question "Franklin Roosevelt," but I thought they would have strapped me down and taken me away.  So I answered all the questions correctly, and everybody seemed greatly relieved.  I didn't accept a ride to the hospital for observation.  I stayed home, tested my blood sugar one more time, and went to bed.

This morning, I felt like I was moving through concrete.  When my blood sugar gets that low, I sometimes have seizures.  I think I had a seizure during this episode because I've been battling a huge headache all day, plus nausea.  I went to work late, and, all afternoon, I've felt like the one Rockette kicking the wrong leg.  It's been a rough day.

Despite all that, I've been giving thanks today.  I'm thankful I'm alive.  I'm thankful my wife was awake to recognize my condition.  I'm thankful for the paramedics.  I'm thankful I didn't have to go to the hospital.  I'm thankful for a job that allows me to come in late.  I'm thankful for friends who tell me they were worried about me.  I'm thankful for my sister who got out of bed and came to my house at 2 a.m. to help my wife.  It's a good day.

Saint Marty is an incredibly blessed person today. 

William Shatner makes an appearance

No comments:

Post a Comment