Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2: From Hectic to Worse, Lost Phone, "Ives" Dip

Sorry, I didn't post this cartoon yesterday:

Confessions of Saint Marty


































Today was one of those off days.  You know what I'm talking about.  It was a day that started strangely (with an early morning meeting) and never seemed to fall into place for me.  Most of the morning, I was trying to complete the steps for my annual evaluation at the university.  Then, when I finally got that in hand, the fire alarm went off in the medical center, and we had to evacuate.  (Nothing too serious.  A kid decided to pull the pretty red handle on the wall to see what happened.)

Then, when I left the medical office, I had to shuttle my daughter back and forth to her dance studio, conduct a meeting with student poetry editors of the university's literary magazine, and give my son a bath.  And then, just when I think things couldn't get any more hectic or stressful, I have lost my cell phone (for the second time in a week).  Now, before you think to yourself, "Why doesn't the dumbass just call it?"--I did.  The phone went directly to voice mail, which probably means that it's sitting in a snowbank somewhere, slowly turning into a hunk of frozen metal.

And, to top it all off, my sister (the one who just spent a couple of weeks in the hospital) fell at home about an hour ago.  I got a phone call from another sister, asking me to come help.  When I got there, my sister was on the floor, shivering, nauseated.  She had a fever of 102 and didn't have the strength to move.  I didn't want to risk moving her, so I said to call an ambulance.  Everyone agreed.

So, here I sit, at the end of a day that went from hectic to worse.  My question for Ives tonight is this:

When does life get easier?

And the answer:

She wasn't young.  Once she had started to hit her fifties, not only had her resolve weakened but so had her body:  limbs heavier, years of smoking catching up, and a kind of weariness aging her, Annie MacGuire slowly came to regret certain of her choices in life.  On many a day, she would leave the apartment and go about her business, wishing she were a different kind of person...

Nice.  So, when Saint Marty's old with heavy limbs, he's going to start regretting his life choices.  Paging Dr. Kevorkian.

Speaking of regretting life choices...

No comments:

Post a Comment