Thursday, August 6, 2026

August 6, 2026: “Just Now,” Quiet Evening, “The Best Day of My Life”

It’s been a quiet, lovely evening.  I didn’t go for a ten-mile hike.  Or eat prime rib for dinner.  Or see a cascade of meteors in the night sky.  Or read a long Russian novel in which a barefoot peasant throws herself in front of a train.  In short, nothing extraordinary happened.

Marie Howe writes about a quiet, lovely day . . . 

Just Now

by: Marie Howe

John opens his eyes when he hears the door click
open downstairs and Joe’s steps walking up past the meowing cat,

and the second click of the upstairs door, and then he lifts
his face so that Joe can kiss him.  Joe has brought armfuls

of broken magnolia branches in full blossom, and he putters
in the kitchen looking for a big jar to put them in and finds it.

And now they tower in the living room, white and sweet, where
John can see them if he leans out from his bed which

he can’t do just now, and now Joe is cleaning.  What a mess
you’ve left me, he says, and John is smiling, almost asleep again.



Such a tender, quiet poem, full of domestic perfection.  The love invested in these tiny moments Howe describes is undeniable and heartbreaking.  John is dying, and Joe, his partner, brings him magnolias to fill his life with beauty.  It would be perfect, if not for the looming phantom of mortality in the room.

But maybe it’s the specter of death that makes Howe’s poem so moving in its gentleness.  Some of the greatest, most profound moments of human connection I’ve ever experienced in my life have occurred at funerals and memorial services.  Everyone is just more vulnerable and open at such occasions.  People hug more, say “I love you” more.  Death reminds us all how tenuous and fragile life truly is.

That’s what I want to say tonight.  And I want to thank you, faithful disciple, for reading this post.  You are part of my perfect, quiet evening, and I wish you the same—perfection and quiet.

Saint Marty wrote a poem for tonight about a good day . . . 

The Best Day of My Life

by: Martin Achatz

Maybe it was today, and I just didn’t pay 
attention.  Maybe the mac and cheese I ate
for dinner was the best meal I will ever
eat, and that walk around the block
with my dog will be the best walk
of her life and, as she squatted 
on my neighbor’s lawn, she took
the best shit of her life.  Maybe
every breath I inhaled, every pulse
of my heart, every sip of cold water—
all the best.  And this poem.  Maybe
this poem I’m writing right now will be
the best poem I’ll ever write, and it will
be anthologized for years after I’m gone.
Maybe I should celebrate.  Maybe 
there’s a piece of the best leftover pizza
in my life still wrapped in aluminum foil,
sitting on the bottom shelf of the fridge
behind a truly great carton of skim milk.   


No comments:

Post a Comment