Saturday, September 14, 2024

September 14: "The Lanyard," Summer Camp, "A Bigfoot Bestiary and Other Wonders"

I never went to a summer camp.  My parents talked about sending me to a diabetes camp and a Catholic camp and a poetry deprogramming camp.  (Okay, I made that last one up.)  However, I effectively dodged all of those bullets in my youth.

I don't feel in any way deprived.  In order to experience deprivation, you need to know what you've missed.  I grew up happy and fulfilled without ever stepping foot in a mouse-infested cabin.  Sure, I regularly see a therapist, but that has little to do with my severe lack of summer camping when I was young.

Billy Collins writes about his summer camp days . . . 

The Lanyard

by: Billy Collins

The other day I was ricocheting slowly
off the blue walls of this room,
moving as if underwater from typewriter to piano,
from bookshelf to an envelope lying on the floor,
when I found myself in the L section of the dictionary
where my eyes fell upon the word lanyard.

No cookie nibbled by a French novelist
could send one into the past more suddenly—
a past where I sat at a workbench at a camp
by a deep Adirondack lake
learning how to braid long thin plastic strips
into a lanyard, a gift for my mother.

I had never seen anyone use a lanyard
or wear one, if that’s what you did with them,
but that did not keep me from crossing
strand over strand again and again
until I had made a boxy
red and white lanyard for my mother.

She gave me life and milk from her breasts,
and I gave her a lanyard.
She nursed me in many a sick room,
lifted spoons of medicine to my lips,
laid cold face-cloths on my forehead,
and then led me out into the airy light

and taught me to walk and swim,
and I, in turn, presented her with a lanyard.
Here are thousands of meals, she said,
and here is clothing and a good education.
And here is your lanyard, I replied,
which I made with a little help from a counselor.

Here is a breathing body and a beating heart,
strong legs, bones and teeth,
and two clear eyes to read the world, she whispered,
and here, I said, is the lanyard I made at camp.
And here, I wish to say to her now,
is a smaller gift—not the worn truth

that you can never repay your mother,
but the rueful admission that when she took
the two-tone lanyard from my hand,
I was as sure as a boy could be
that this useless, worthless thing I wove
out of boredom would be enough to make us even.



Since I never had the summer camp experience, I never had the opportunity to make my mother a lanyard or diorama of the Last Supper made of popsicle sticks or rock painted with van Gogh's The Starry Night.  I don't think she minded.  She knew my tastes and temperaments weren't of the swimming-in-a-leech-infested-lake variety.

But she knew I loved poetry, and she encouraged me in this endeavor quite a bit.  She was in the front row when I defended my theses for my MA and MFA.  She attended most of my poetry readings prior to her Alzheimer's diagnosis.  When I was named U.P. Poet Laureate for the first time, we went out to dinner at Red Lobster together.  While I wasn't a typical son, I know my mother was always proud of my creative accomplishments.

And now I have another creative accomplishment.  It's the lanyard I never made for my mom.  You see, I've been working on a book of poems about Bigfoot for over 20 years now.  It's been both blessing and curse.  I literally never thought I was going to be done with it.  Mom even heard some of my Bigfoot poems before she passed and loved them.

Here it is:  I can finally announce that my poetry collection A Bigfoot Bestiary and Other Wonders will be released on October 1st.  The Kindle version comes out September 28.  That's right, I said Kindle.  Soon to follow will be an Audible version, with your favorite saint reading the poems.  And I'm over-the-moon and completely humbled at the same time.

You see, I wrote this collection simply because it was a book I wanted to read.  I never thought it would have appeal to many other people outside my immediate family.  Yet, here I am, getting ready to plan a book tour.  Life really is strange.

My mom would have loved this book, I think, and not because I wrote it.  The poems in it would have made her laugh.  A lot.  They may have even choked her up a little bit.  (She was never much for crying.)  Above all, she would have been proud of her son, the poet, even if he never made her a lanyard at summer camp.

Saint Marty hopes y'all will consider ordering a copy of his new book from Modern History Press:





No comments:

Post a Comment