Sunday, September 1, 2024

September 1: "No Time," Swamp Time, Love/Hate

I spent a good portion of today in a swamp, 

It was the annual Bayou Art Walk.  Artists, musicians, and writers set up booths throughout the bayou to hawk their wares.  I was there to pass out poetry and talk to a lot of really lovely individuals.  It's amazing to me how people get so excited about the gift of poetry.  I had a box of poetry collections and journals, and every person who walked by got to choose a book and/or haiku postcard.  Some grabbed several postcards.  A few took two and three books.  High school and college students.  Seniors.  Twenty-, 30-, and 40-somethings.  

Nobody was in a hurry.  Time sort stood still in that green, green place.

But Billy Collins has no time at all . . .

No Time 

by: Billy Collins

In a rush this weekday morning,
I tap the horn as I speed past the cemetery
where my parents are buried
side by side beneath a slab of smooth granite.

Then, all day, I think of him rising up
to give me that look
of knowing disapproval
while my mother calmly tells him to lie back down.



My relationship with time has always been a love/hate one.  I love that most of my days are boiling over with activity, but I hate how exhausted and peopled-out I get most nights.  I love teaching and poeming and hosting library events, but I hate grading papers and submitting poems and being hyper self-conscious.  I enjoy friends and family and audiences, but I crave solitude.

Most of all, I wish I had more times like today when I'm not obsessively aware of passing seconds, minutes, and hours.  I want to be unhurried, peaceful.  I guess what I'm saying is that I wish I could spend more time in a swamp where frogs gobble schedules like mosquitoes or flies.

Saint Marty just needs to sit on a lily pad, strum a banjo, and sing "The Rainbow Connection."  Find his inner Kermit.




No comments:

Post a Comment