Tuesday, August 9, 2022

August 9: Comfortable But Suffering, Boxes, Open-Air Jazz

Santiago promises to pray . . .

He was comfortable but suffering, although he did not admit the suffering at all.

"I am not religious," he said. "But I will say ten Our Fathers and ten Hail Marys that I should catch this fish, and I promise to make a pilgrimage to the Virgen de Cobre if I catch him. That is a promise."

Comfortable but suffering.  Doesn't that describe life a lot of the time?  There are always problems or pains or irritations going on in the background of a day.  We are all comfortable but suffering.

That may sound a little pessimistic.  Perhaps it is.  I've never been comfortable with labels like "pessimist" or "optimist" or "realist" or "pragmatist."  A lot of people who really know me wouldn't say that I'm a happy person.  The same people. however, wouldn't say that I'm a sad person, either.  Labels are boxes, and I have a problem with boxes.

Tonight, I hosted an open-air jazz concert on the steps of the library.  A quartet, the musicians mostly friends of mind.  It was exactly what I needed.  Beautiful and moving and complicated jazz for this beautiful and moving and complicated life.  This comfortable but suffering life.

If we're lucky, we all get these moments every once in a while.  Open air.  No walls.  Moments where you feel yourself blooming like a flower, and your spirit can take flight for a little bit.  Where the suffering takes a back seat, and comfort takes over for a few minutes.  An hour or two.  A lovely evening or few days.

Tonight was one of those moments for me.

Saint Marty's blessing tonight:  a jazz moment of grace.



No comments:

Post a Comment