Thursday, July 23, 2020

July 23: Near a Lake, How the Light Gets In, "After Judith Minty"



Went writing near a lake this evening with two of my best friends.  It was something my spirit needed, as I've found myself in a pretty dark place recently.


I wanted to share something that came out of our time together tonight.  It made me smile.  Ernest Hemingway once said, "We're all broken.  That's how the light gets in."

Saint Marty let a little light in tonight.  A tiny, bright miracle.

After Judith Minty

by:  Martin Achatz

for Helen and Gala

Two people.  Two poets.  Two friends.  Surrounded by the long sunlight of coming dusk.  By a lake.  Wind.  Water rucked like a slept-on bed.  Green everywhere.  Clover.  Birch leaves with palms waving.  And green sounds.  Happy kid screams.  The squeal of swing chains.

I watch these two people, two poets, two friends bent over notebooks, pens moving, creating something out of nothing on the winter of their paper.  Great looping somethings.  Smaller, lined somethings.  This July night, in this place, with these two, somethings that haven't drawn breath before will take form--skeleton, muscle, organ, skin, thought, emotion.

And what will that emotion be?  It will be something feathered, like Emily said.  Something purple, like Judith said.  It didn't exist yesterday, might not exist tomorrow.  But tonight, it sits in the branches of my ribs, beats against my lungs with its wings.

I will name it, even though I rarely allow myself that luxury.  I will open my mouth, and let it fly from between my lips.  To my friends, my poets, my people.  I will let it flit between us with its lilac-ness, violet-ness, grape-ness.

Listen.  Hear it.  It's there. 

Hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment