Sunday, July 19, 2020

July 19: "I Have a Dream," Some Dark and Some Light, "He Matters"

I led a virtual poetry workshop this evening with three amazing writers.  The theme of the workshop was "I Have a Dream," to commemorate the 57th anniversary of Martin Luther King's speech in Washington, D. C., this August 28.

It was all about hopes and dreams, some dark and some light. 

Here is something Saint Marty wrote, a little rough . . .

He Matters

by:  Martin Achatz

I haven't been able to watch.
That video.
That knee on that neck.
Can't listen to those words.
I can't breathe.
Later, one word.
A prayer.
Momma.
I can't do any of those things.
Don't want to be a part of it.
I want to stand up.
Walk away.
Erase it.
But
it's my knee
on that neck.
My ears filled
with those words.
I can't breathe.
And, later,
Momma.
I have been kneeling
like that my whole life.
It's time to rise,
lift that body
in my arms, hand him
to his mother,
not look down
or away
when she spits
in my face.
Not wipe that spit away.
Accept it
as penance,
punishment,
communion.
Because she matters.
He matters.
Because he deserves
to open his mouth,
fill his lungs,
say,
My name 
is 
George.


No comments:

Post a Comment