Tuesday, December 24, 2019

December 22-23: Shape of the Universe, Christmas Eve Eve, Kick in the Pants

Near the end of the Hitchhiker's, Marvin, the depressed robot, says, "  . . . It's part of the shape of the Universe.  I only have to talk to somebody and they begin to hate me.  Even robots hate me.  If you just ignore me I expect I shall probably go away."  Marvin has a particularly dark view of the universe and his place in it.  Up until now, Christmas Eve eve, I pretty much would have agreed with him.

Today, however, was an amazing day.  As either of my two constant readers knows, holiday preparations have been a struggle for me and my family this year.  With my wife losing her job in November, among other things, the light of this season of light has seemed a little dim.  Today, I was reminded that blessings are all around, and God really is looking out for me.

When I write these posts every night, I try not to focus on my problems too much.  I am very aware that most of the issues I face are very first world.  After all, I have a roof over my head, warm clothes, food in my cupboards (most of the time), and my health.  I'm way better off than a majority of people on this planet.  So, rambling on and on about my struggles seems a little shallow.  Every once in a while, I need a kick in the pants to remind me of this fact.

This morning, out of the blue, I got that kick in the pants.  I'm not at liberty to discuss the details, but that kick began a day where, over and over, I felt blessed, loved, and appreciated.  People showed me, in large and small ways, that I matter and make a difference in their lives.  Too often recently, I've felt sort of like George Bailey on the bridge, contemplating the roiling dark water below.  Some late nights, I've even thought, once or twice, maybe it would be better if I had never been born.

Yet, there are plenty of Angels Second Class out there to dispel this idea, and my day of blessings literally ended with a Christmas gathering of people who mean the world to me.  All of them angels.  If I had any doubt of the worth of my life, all I had to do this evening was look into their faces, hear their laughter.  Clarence Odbody writes this message to George at the end of It's a Wonderful Life:  "Remember no man is a failure who has friends."

If you are struggling this Christmas season with feelings of worthlessness, let me assure you that you have made a difference in somebody's life.  You may not know it, but you have.  Every life you touch has been changed.  Look at the photos in this post.  They are of people whom I love and who love me.  They are the some of the greatest blessings in my life.  I have changed them, and they have changed me, always for the better.

Saint Marty is so thankful for that wonderful kick in the pants he received this morning.  Life really is wonderful.


1 comment: