Monday, November 18, 2019

November 18: Sub-Etha News-Matics, #makeAmericasmartagain, Ignoring Problems

"That is really amazing," he [Zaphod] said.  "That really is truly amazing.  That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it."

A marvelous presidential quote, absolutely true to form.  The crowd laugheds appreciatively, the newsmen gleefully punched buttons on their Sub-Etha News-Matics and the President grinned.

Even in outer space, people pay attention to politicians who say outrageous things and commit outrageous acts.

Today is one of those days where I wish I could have stayed in bed.  All day.  I just got done paying some bills, figuring out how much I'm going to need on Friday, when I have to pay some more bills.  Somehow, the amount in my savings and checking accounts don't really match up to the bills coming due.  That's no surprise.

I have to say, to those people in the middle class who still support Donald Trump and his tax plan, I am NOT financially better off today than when Mr. Trump took office.  In fact, things have gotten quite a bit worse for me.  I don't live extravagantly.  I don't have expendable income.  (Frankly, I don't even know what that term really means.)  For reasons I will not get into, my life and debt have taken a turn in the last six months, and that turn forced me to take on another job to try to pay my bills.  That is Trump America.

Don't worry, I'm not about to step up on my soapbox to rant about the person currently residing in the Oval Office.  I believe the less attention paid to Donald Trump, the better.  If everybody simply chose to ignore what Mr. Trump says or tweets, simply focused on facts, the man would probably be in prison (or at least removed from office) already.  In fact, I wish someone would start a movement to ignore Donald Trump.  Call it something like #makeAmericasmartagain, and, instead of reading Mr. Trump's latest 140 characters, everyone picks up a good book and reads that instead.

Of course, I know ignoring a problem will not make that problem disappear.  Sort of like bills.  If you ignore them, they don't go away.  Instead, your phone starts ringing  and threatening letters arrive in the mail.  By ignoring problems, they multiply instead of dissipate.  So ignorance is not the answer.

What is the answer?  I don't know.  I would love to ignore my woes into oblivion.  It doesn't work.  When I go to bed at night, I lay them down for a few hours.  When I wake up, they are waiting for me.  Sometimes they're standing right beside the bed, waving their arms, clamoring for my attention like goblin Trumps. 

Instead, I choose to deal with my problems as soon as they arise.  I don't like them hanging over me.  I certainly won't let them take up residence in the Oval Office of my head.  I'd rather impeach them now and get them removed as soon as possible.  They can't wreak as much havoc that way, and I sleep a whole lot better.

So, that's Saint Marty's advice for this evening--impeach those problems before they start building a wall around your bathroom or something


No comments:

Post a Comment