Wednesday, June 12, 2019

June 12: Independence of Computers, POF, Technology

The crew of the Heart of Gold are dealing with its new-and-improved computer . . .

Zaphod tapped impatiently on the hatch.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I think we might be better off with a slide rule."

"Right!" snapped the computer.  "Who said that?"

"Will you open up the exit hatch, please, computer?" said Zaphod, trying not to get angry.

"Not until whoever said that owns up," urged the computer, stamping a few synapses closed.

"Oh God," muttered Ford, slumped against a bulkhead.  He started to count to ten.  He was desperately worried that one day sentient life forms would forget how to do this.  Only by counting could humans demonstrate their independence of computers.

Yes, computers are wonderful things, when they are working exactly the way you want them to.  Sending e-mails.  Posting things to Facebook.  Allowing you to order a fountain pen for Father's Day.  Computers are great tools, when they are treated as tools.

However, technology can be very frustrating and insidious.  It can replace family dinner conversations and game nights (thank you Snapchat).  Cause small businesses to go out of business (thank you, Amazon).  Break up marriages (thank you POF).  In my life, I use computers on a daily basis, at work and home.  I enjoy my time on Blogger, typing these posts.  They allow me to clear my head, focus my ideas.  And I do scroll through Facebook during the day, even though nothing ever really changes.

This afternoon, I am heading to Calumet. Michigan, to do a performance at the Calumet Theatre tomorrow evening.  I am going to be depending on technology to keep me connected to my family--mostly my iPhone.  I am not going to get bored and go Amazon shopping in the middle of the night at the hotel.  Not going to order myself a pizza at 3 a.m.  (There isn't even a restaurant open in Calumet at that time.)

You're probably thinking right now, "What's his point?"  My point is this:  don't let technology overtake your life.  I have seen what kind of damage it can do firsthand.  It ain't pretty.  One of the best investments I made this spring was a backyard fire pit.  I purchased it in early May, and we have been using it every weekend, and sometimes during the week.  It has already made my family healthier.

You see, when we have a fire at night, electronics aren't the focus.  Phones stay in pockets.  I did not make up this rule.  It simply happens.  Instead of playing with iPhones, we play croquet and board games.  And EVERYONE has a good time, without once posting a picture of the fire on Facebook to prove to everyone else what a good time we're having.  It's been wonderful.

So, for the next day-and-a-half, I am going to be fairly disconnected from technology, except for an occasional cell phone call.  Calumet doesn't lend itself well to WiFi anyway.  This is your warning.  I will talk with you all in about a day or so.

Saint Marty is simply packing a good book to read for this trip.  (Books are these things that existed before kindles and allowed people to read in the car, house, airplane, bathroom, beach, campground, and church without the need of a power source.)


No comments:

Post a Comment