Thursday, May 16, 2019

May 16: A Fairy Story, Keep Things Real, Hope

More stuff on the mythical planet of Magrathea . . .

Arthur awoke to the sound of argument and went to the bridge.  Ford was waving his arms about.

"You're crazy, Zaphod," he was saying, "Magrathea is a myth, a fairy story, it's what parents tell their kids about at night if they want them to grow up to become economists, it's . . ."

"And that's what we are currently in orbit about," insisted Zaphod.  

"Look, I can't help what you may personally be in orbit around," said Ford, "but this ship . . ."

"Computer!" shouted Zaphod.

"Oh no . . ."

"Hi there!  This is Eddie, your shipboard computer, and I'm feeling just great, guys, and I know I'm just going to get a bundle of kicks out of any program you care to run through me."

Arthur looked inquiringly at Trillian.  She motioned him to come on in but keep quiet.

"Computer," said Zaphod, "tell us what our present trajectory is."

"A real pleasure, feller," it burbled; "we are currently in orbit at an altitude of three hundred miles around the legendary planet Magrathea."

"Proving nothing," said Ford.  "I wouldn't trust that computer to speak my weight."

"I can do that for you, sure," enthused the computer, punching out more ticker tape.  "I can even work out your personality problems to ten decimal planes if it will help."

I haven't much time this evening to ruminate on fairy tales and dreams, since that is what seems to be at the heart of the disagreement between Ford and Zaphod.  Zaphod is embracing hope, and Ford is attempting to stay firmly grounded in reality.

I will say this:  reality is overrated.  When someone says to me, "I'm just trying to keep things real," it always comes off as "Don't be an idiot!  That's never going to happen!"  It's an attempt to dismiss even the possibility of hope. 

Right now, in my life, I need hope.  I embrace it.  If I didn't have hope, I wouldn't get up in the morning.  If that makes me an idiot, then so be it.  I'm sitting at my kitchen table right now, typing this post.  Above me, I can hear my daughter laughing and shouting joyfully with her boyfriend and friend.  All three of them are full of possibility and hope.  They sound buoyant and full of happiness.

They give me hope.  For today, tonight, tomorrow.

Saint Marty plans to stay in orbit around his daughter's planet, breathing the oxygen of her fairy tale.


No comments:

Post a Comment