Saturday, May 20, 2017

May 20: Poet Marty, Shel Silverstein, "Skin Stealer"

Believe it or not, I think of myself as a introvert.  Social situations, especially around groups or strangers, are difficult for me.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't feel the urge to flee when confronted with the necessity of small talk.  I don't have that kind of social anxiety.  It just sometimes takes a great deal of effort for me to be friendly.

When I give a reading, it's almost like I have to zip myself into the skin of a different person.  Let's call him Poet Marty.  Poet Marty is funny and articulate and personable.  He's the life of the party.  And when it's all over, I go home, hang Poet Marty in the closet, and don't talk a lot for the rest of the night.

And then there's Saint Marty, who's sort of like a blogging version of Poet Marty.

Skin Stealer

by:  Shel Silverstein

This evening I unzipped my skin
And carefully unscrewed my head,
Exactly as I always do
When I prepare myself for bed.
And while I slept a coo-coo came
As naked as could be
And put on the skin
And screwed on the head
That once belonged to me.
Now wearing my feet
He runs through the street
In a most disgraceful way.
Doin' things and sayin' things
I'd never do or say,
Ticklin' the children
And kickin' the men
And Dancin' the ladies away.
So if he makes your bright eyes cry
Or makes your poor head spin,
That scoundrel you see
Is not really me
He's the coo-coo
Who's wearing my skin.


No comments:

Post a Comment