Monday, March 13, 2017

March 13: Framed Prayer, Serenity, Miles to Go

Billy had a framed prayer on his office wall which expressed his method for keeping going, even though he was unenthusiastic about living.  A lot of patients who saw the prayer on Billy's wall told him that it helped them to keep going, too.  It went like this:

GOD GRANT ME
THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT
THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE,
COURAGE
TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN,
AND WISDOM ALWAYS
TO TELL THE 
DIFFERENCE

 Among the things Billy Pilgrim could not change were the past, present, and the future.

The prayer on Billy's office wall is called the Serenity Prayer, as most of you already know.  It's a very common prayer that I've seen in various locations:  people's homes, doctor's offices, therapist's offices, bathroom walls (yes, bathroom walls).  Even if a person isn't religious, s/he has probably heard, read, or recited the Serenity Prayer at some time.

I have been working my tail off today.  I just finished grading a pile of essays, which I will return tonight to their authors.  I worked a full day at the medical office.  Taught a film class this afternoon.  And, tonight, it's composition, where my students will be working on drafts of their research papers. 

As you can tell, I am in need of a little serenity at the moment, and I have about 40 minutes to obtain it.  That's not a whole lot of time to find my happy place.  (Actually, I know where my happy place is:  at home, on my couch, with a mug of special hot chocolate.  As Robert Frost would say, I have miles to go before I drink.)

But, I am thankful I was able to complete all my work this afternoon.  I had my doubts.

Saint Marty is ready now for a five-minute power serenity break.


No comments:

Post a Comment