Thursday, March 24, 2016

March 24: Fair Weather Cometh, Maundy Thursday, Unconditional Love

"Fair weather cometh out of the north:  with God is terrible majesty."

Yes, fair weather has cometh upon my section of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  While to the south, a snowstorm has pounded the areas along the shores of Lake Michigan, here in the central U. P., our weather was blessedly calm.  Sunny even.  And for that, I thank God's terrible majesty.

As always, I apologize for my recent absence.  Tuesdays and Wednesdays are big teaching days for me, and I find myself exhausted by the end of these days.  I simply cannot even contemplate sitting down to piece together any reflection of substance.  As it stands, it is Thursday night, a little after 11 p.m., and I am just sitting down to post.

I went to a Maundy Thursday service at my wife's church this evening.  It was a simple affair consisting of a gospel reading of Christ's Passion divided into 14 sections.  At the conclusion of each section, a candle was extinguished.  By the end of the readings, darkness prevailed in the sanctuary.

Frankly, I thought I was too tired to be affected in any way by this service.  However, as I sat, listening to the readings, I found myself profoundly moved to the point of tears.  I could barely sing the last hymn, "Were You There?"  It was the whole narrative and sacrifice and unconditional love that did me in.

So, tonight, I want to say that Easter is almost upon us.  If you are a Christian, I pray that, in the next few days, you may experience the deep sense of gratitude I felt at this evening's worship service.  If you are not a Christian, I wish that, in the next few days, you may experience a deep sense of love in your life--unconditional, limitless love.

Saint Marty is ready for Good Friday.


1 comment: