Monday, December 28, 2015

December 28: McCarthy or Walker or Dillard, Winter Storm, "Ives" Dip, Off the Top of My Head

So, I am kicking around a few ideas for the book for next year.  I have done A Christmas Carol and Catcher in the Rye and Charlotte's Web and Mr. Ives' Christmas.  I have three possibilities in mind for 2016: 
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  • The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  • Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
I am leaning toward the Annie Dillard.  It's a book I've loved for years, and it's a little lighter than the first two choices.  But I'm going to leave it up to you, my disciples.  Send me your vote in a comment.  On December 31, I will tally the results and announce the winner on January 1st.

There is a winter storm bearing down on the Upper Peninsula tonight.  By tomorrow morning, my house will be buried under ten inches of new, wet, heavy snow.  I will be rising at 4 a.m. to clear my driveway.  I am not looking forward to it.  I'm guessing it's going to take a couple of hours, and then I have go to work.

Tonight is the last Ives Dip Monday, and my question is simple:

Will we get a lot of snow tonight?

And the final answer this year from Ives is:

He said that with great self-assurance, a tone of wisdom, and with certainty, as if, Ives would later think, he had already known.

Self-assurance and wisdom and certainty.  There is going to be a lot of snow tomorrow morning.  Son of a bitch.

Saint Marty was hoping for a quiet end of the year.

Off the Top of My Head


No comments:

Post a Comment