Friday, April 24, 2015

April 24: One Year Turning, End of Semester, Quick Fairy Tale

Now, Ives watched one year turning into another and had already begun to miss Robert's and Caroline's childhood, perhaps more than they did themselves...

Yes, part of Ives' story is the inevitable passage of time, and the losses that accompany the movement of the hands of the clock.

I am under the gun tonight for time.  I have a university commitment in an hour I have to attend.  A celebration for the graduating MFA students.  Poetry.  Fiction.  Non-fiction.  And food.

So, tonight, I have a quick fairy tale for you all.

Once upon a time, a clockmaker lived in a tiny village in the middle of an immense forest.  The clockmaker's name was Gus.

One morning, Gus threw all of his clocks out of the window of his cottage.  When his neighbors asked why he had done it, Gus said, "I was drunk."

(I bet you thought I was going to say Gus wanted to make time fly.  I'm a little more original than that.)

Moral of the story:  Clockmakers can't hold their liquor.

And Saint Marty lived happily ever after.

No time tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment