Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September 10: Rainy and Dark, Bad Weather, White Wednesday Update

The next day was rainy and dark.  Rain fell on the roof of the barn and dripped steadily from the eaves.  Rain fell in the barnyard and ran in crooked courses down into the lane where thistles and pigweed grew...

I know I've used this passage before, but, considering the weather outside, it is entirely appropriate.  Rain has been falling all day long.  Not just a light sprinkle or fine mist.  I'm talking heavy, wind-driven rain.  The kind that almost feels like sleet when it hits your face.  Bad weather rain.

I do not mind rain.  In fact, I've enjoyed the chalkboard sky and angry trees.  It hasn't dampened my good mood over yesterday's publication news.  I've been sort of floating along on a cloud of contentment.  That may seem ridiculous to some of my disciples.  I mean, it's not like I won the Pulitzer Prize or was offered a book contract.  However, after my string of recent rejections, I take yesterday's news like a salve and rub it on my bruised ego.

For those of you who are wondering or even care, I have not abandoned White Wednesday.  For the past two weeks, I've simply forgotten to pack my copy of the E. B. White biography I'm reading.  I will resume normal programming next week.  I promise.

In a few minutes, I have to go down to teach my Introduction to Film night class.  Citizen Kane and Il Postino this week.  I'm a little tired, but not exhausted.  It should be a good few hours.

Saint Marty has only one thing left to say:  "Rosebud."

Anybody seen my sled?

No comments:

Post a Comment