Friday, May 27, 2011

May 27: IEP, Lunch, New Poem

This afternoon, my wife and I have to attend an IEP for my two-year-old son to decide how he will be educated next year in preschool.  It seems, to me, like a ridiculous exercise in the management of school resources, but, hey, what do I know?  I just want my son to get into preschool, possibly a Headstart program.  If I have to jump through this hoop, I'll do a little stretching and leap.

Whenever I have to make decisions that impact my children's futures, like which school to attend or which teacher to choose, I get a little anxious.  I'm constantly afraid I'll make a bad choice and screw them up for the rest of their lives.  And my son's only two, so that's a helluva long time.

In a little while, I'm going out to lunch with my wife and sisters.  Then onto the IEP.  I'm looking forward to the long Memorial Day weekend.  I want to relax.  That doesn't mean I don't have obligations to fulfill, but having three days in which to get things done is a luxury I rarely get.  I have already accomplished quite a bit this morning at work, including writing a new poem.  The weekend's off to a really good start.

My new poem is about my anxieties over my son's future, obviously inspired by the experience I'm anticipating this afternoon.  Enjoy.  Give me some feedback.  Please.

Saint Marty is going to go get some deep-fried cheese curds now.

On My Son’s Future


I meet with his future
Teachers today, a man, a woman,
To decide how we will
Mold him into something
Acceptable, a straight “A”
Football player valedictorian
Who will speak without
Sibilance or stutter,
Will eat brussel sprouts
Without glottal gag
Or plosive retch,
Will recite the alphabet,
Count to one hundred,
Name the bones of the hand
Before kindergarten,
Memorize Lincoln’s
Gettysburg Address for kicks,
Recite it on the playground
As he lobs the ball
Over the fence, takes
His victory lap around
The bases as the other
Boys glare with envy,
The girls admire
His easy, confident
Gait that will carry
Him through high school,
Into college on scholarship,
Medical school on fellowship,
Johns Hopkins, onto missionary
Work where he’ll discover
The cure for some
As yet unknown disease
Decimating sub-Saharan
Africa, for which he’ll
Win the Nobel Prize
For Medicine, thank me
In his acceptance speech
For the choices I make
Today, for asking
Whether he will get
A nap in the afternoon
Next year.

My son gets his Nobel

No comments:

Post a Comment