Thursday, April 18, 2024

April 18: "Three for a Quarter," Johnny Cash, "Old Country Music"

Billy Collins shows his age . . . 

Three for a Quarter

by:  Billy Collins

I was forced to listen to a lot of country music when I was a kid.  Every morning, while I ate breakfast, I had to endure the local country station on the radio.  It was the only thing my dad listened to.

So, I got very familiar with all the old country tunes that only cost a nickel to play on a jukebox.  Hank Williams.  Willie Nelson.  Johnny Cash.  Loretta Lynn.

Perhaps that ages me, too, just like Collins.  All the 1980s songs that define my high school days are now considered vintage or golden oldies.

Does that make Saint Marty a classic?

Old Country Music

by:  Martin Achatz

Every morning,
WJPD on the radio
with my Lucky Charms.

Then I hopped a train
to school, hunted down
the dirty S.O.B.
who failed me in Trig,
and shot his dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment