Saturday, April 13, 2024

April 13: "A Small Hotel," My Daughter, "Buying a Pizza"

Billy Collins starts a fire . . .

A Small Hotel

by:  Billy Collins

When a match touched
the edge of the page,
my poem filled with smoke,

then a few words
were seen to stumble out
in nothing but their nightgowns

with no idea which way to run.



Sitting here tonight on my couch, listening to a crow scratch at the stars with its caws.  My daughter just left a little while ago.  She came over to help me set up a new Fire TV Stick and to do her laundry.

It reminded me how much I miss having her living at home.  Miss her humor and affections.  How she can make her 15-year-old brother smile and shine like a brand new penny.  How she will sometimes put her head on my shoulder when she's sitting next to me.

Saint Marty doesn't need to set a page on fire to find a poem.

Buying a Pizza

by:  Martin Achatz

She prefers stuffed crust
topped with chicken.

Two or three pieces
with leftovers for breakfast.

Poetry is a cheap date.


No comments:

Post a Comment