Saturday, March 9, 2024

March 9: "Eyes," Pretty Honest, One Truth

Billy Collins opens his . . . 

Eyes

by:  Billy Collins

O little twin spheres
echoing
the shape of the earth

and a perfect match
for the blue
curvature of the sky,

no wonder
the dark, descending birds
always begin with you.



Kind of a bleak little image there--dark, descending birds always beginning with the eyes.  Right out of a Grimm fairy tale.  Or an Alfred Hitchcock movie.  

There's an old saying that eyes are the windows to the soul.  The mouth can lie.  So can the face.  Even the body can lie.  But eyes simply can't lie, unless you happen to be a sociopath with an orange complexion and really bad hair.  

However, I believe that most people are pretty honest.  That doesn't mean that all truths are valid.  That means that every individual owns a piece of the puzzle, and if all of those pieces could be put together, the full truth would be revealed.

Here are the truths of today, as seen through my eyes:

1) Winter returned today, with snow and wind and ice.  
2) My puppy likes to bark.  All.  Day.  Long.  At other dogs.  Passing cars.  The mail carrier.
3) I love my wife.
4) I love my kids.
5) I love my sisters, who live only a block away from me.
6) I love my friends who came over tonight to play board games.
7) I love watching movies late at night.
8) I intensely dislike Daylight Saving Time in the spring.
9) Poetry can save your life.
10) Nobody should act out of anger or resentment.
11) Those that love you the most can hurt you the most.
12) Cheese should be its own food group.
13) The Oscars are more entertaining than the Super Bowl.
14) Naps are one of the greatest pleasure in life.
15) Everyone should watch a sunrise at least once a week.
16) Everyone should watch a sunset at least once a week.
17) The movie Wonka is pretty amazing.

Some disciples reading this post might not agree with a few (or all) of my truths.  That's okay.  Peace on Earth doesn't mean that everyone agrees on what the truth is.  It means that, despite all of our different truths, we can still love each other and help each other in times of need.

Saint Marty hopes we can all agree on that one truth.

And also that Donald Trump is batshit crazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment